Kings Avenue Primary School
Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy

Kings Avenue is a Community Primary school in the Borough of Lambeth. Kings Avenue is an inclusive school and seeks to meet the needs of all children within its care.

The Headteacher is the named SENCO and she works very closely with the Inclusion Team that consists of the Assistant Headteacher, the Deputy Headteacher and two Behaviour and ASD specialists.

Each member of the Inclusion Team acts as a lead professional for children across the school with SEN. The Inclusion Team meet fortnightly to discuss the needs of the children, outside agency support and share information. This means all children receive an outstanding provision to enable them to learn and make progress.

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Report for Children with SEND

All Lambeth maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.
The school will meet the needs of children with the following SEND:
• Communication and interaction
• Cognition and learning
• Social, mental and emotional health
• Sensory/physical

The information below details the offer within the school and ways in which parents, children and young people may access the support required.

What are Special Educational Needs (SEN) or a disability?
At Kings Avenue School we use the definition for SEN and/or disability from the SEND Code of Practice (2014). Special Educational Needs (SEN).
A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
• has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
• has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.
This means provision that goes beyond the differentiated approaches and learning arrangements normally provided as part of high quality, personalised teaching. Disability: Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…… A physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities’.
Pupils will be identified as being eligible for SEN Support when insufficient progress is being made, despite receiving differentiated approaches and learning arrangements normally provided as part of high quality, personalised teaching.

Who can I speak to if I am worried about my child’s learning?
If you need to talk about your child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs/Disability (SEND) the first person you should speak to is your child’s class teacher. You can do this by making an appointment with the class teacher at the end of the school day or by asking the office staff to let the class teacher know you would like to make an appointment:

0207 622 1208 FAO, Class Teacher name

Your child’s class teacher is responsible for:
• Making sure that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as personalisation or differentiation).
• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc.) and discussing amendments with the VP or SENCo as necessary.
• Writing Individual Educational Plans (IEP’s, information about your child’s levels and the different types of support s/he receives) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
• Making sure that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
• Making sure that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
• Making sure that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
• Setting targets, in liaison with the SENCo, and sharing and reviewing these with parents during parents’ meetings.

Who can I speak to if I am worried about my child’s learning?
Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator. (SENCo)

Miss R Mollett 1

The SENCO - Miss Rachel Mollett – Headteacher
The SENCO is responsible for working with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to:
• Coordinate the support for children with special educational needs and or disabilities and developing the schools SEND policy to make sure all children get a consistent high, quality response to meeting their needs in school.
• Making sure that you are:
• Fully involved in supporting your child’s learning
• Kept informed about the support your child is receiving
• Fully involved in reviewing how they are progressing
• Fully involved in planning your child’s support
• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychologist etc.
• Updating the schools SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in the school are known and understood) and making sure that here are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child to achieve their potential.
• Supporting your child’s class teacher to write individual Educational Plans that specify the targets set for your child to achieve.
• Liaise with class teachers, parents and support staff to initiate SEND support plans (Special Educational Needs and Disability support plans) if they have significant needs or their needs involve many different support agencies.
• Preparing an educational health care plan where needed.
• Organising training for staff so they are ware about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.

Who can I speak to if I am worried about my child’s learning?

Matthew Bryant 150x150

SEND Governor      Matthew Bryant 

You can contact Mr Bryant by writing to the SEN Governor via the school office or email,  FAO, Mr Matthew Bryant

 Responsible for:

  • Ensuring the school has an updated SEND policy.
  • Ensuring the school has appropriate provision and that adaptations are there to meet the needs of all the children in school.
  • Ensuring the school’s SEN funding is appropriately spent.
  • Ensuring the necessary support is available to all children with SEN and/or disabilities.
  • Visit and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and that each child achieves their full potential.


send 001 e1535987078594

How do we support a child with SEN/and or disabilities?

  •  The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the VPs SEN Leader or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task. This may include occasional support from a Learning Assistant or TA to help with a particular difficulty.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.
  • You will be immediately informed and be a full partner in planning and reviewing additional support or interventions.
  • The class teacher will plan with you and the VP or SEN Leader interventions to support your child’s learning. These interventions will have clear targets to help your child make more progress.
  • Interventions may include small group work or individual sessions on a specific theme.
  • Where small group sessions are put in place they will be run by a Learning Support Assistant or TA or an outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist)) using a planned programme.
  • Where specialist professionals work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, these may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise
    • Your child’s involvement in a group, run by school staff, under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. Speech and Language Support.
    • A group or individual work in school, run by an outside professional.


Effectiveness of Provision for children with SEN/and or Disabilities

 The effectiveness of provision for our SEND children is continually monitored to ensure that provision is targeted to each child’s needs and to ensure that each child is making progress both academically and socially. Children at Kings Avenue typically make average and at times accelerated progress in reading, writing and maths. Children with SEND typically have low starting points and some make less than average progress. However, children are supported to embrace the wider curriculum, with teachers and school leaders ensuring that steps of progress are made however small.

Special Educational Needs Support Plans (SSP)

 Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead

of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.


For your child this would mean;

  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendation, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise.
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
    • A group or individual work with outside professionals
    • The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place
    • You will always be involved in decisions about how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place
    • You will be provided with the contact details for any agencies or services outside the school who are or will work with your child
    • The school makes its best endeavours to put in place the support identified in the plan

The progress your child makes with the support identified will be regularly reviewed and the provision may be changed according to the progress your child makes.


This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention group.

Educational Health and Care plans (EHCP’s)

This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly higher level of individual and small group support which cannot be provided from the resources already given to the school.

Usually, if your child needs this high level of support they may also need specialist support from professionals outside he school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Services (for children with visual or hearing need) and/or outside agencies such as speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational Therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS.


What this means for your child:

  • If despite the good and outstanding classroom teaching the intervention groups and referrals to outside advise and support that the school has provided from its own resources to enable your child to make progress, your child needs further input, the school, or you, can recommend that the local Authority makes a statutory assessment for an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP). This is a legal process and you can find the details about his in the local Authority (LA) based Local offer, Lambeth website at
  • This is done with the full partnership with you and your child. After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), the LA will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided) are sufficient to need a statutory assessment.
  • If this is the case they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report, to which your child contributes, outlining your child’s needs and how they will be met and the long and short term outcomes that are being sought.
  • If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the SEN Support in school and provide further support for you and the school to ensure your child needs are met.
  • After thee reports have all been sent in an EHC plan to which you and your child will contribute will be prepared. This is called and Educational Health Care Plan because it brings together all of the educational health and social care needs that your child may have in one plan.
  • The school must make its best efforts to put in place the support that is outlined in the plan.
  • The progress your child makes with the support identified will be regularly reviewed, in an Annual Review, and the provision may be changed according to your child needs.
  • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are more severe, complex and potentially lifelong.


Outside agencies working within our school

Speech and Language Therapy
We have two speech and language therapist working in our school.

One who works with our nursery, reception and year 1.

The other works with years 2,3,4,5 and 6


They manage children with a range of conditions affecting:

  • listening skills
  • language and language understanding
  • speech production and voice
  • augmentative and alternative communication such as signing and using picture symbols
  • social interaction
  • eating, drinking and swallowing.

For more information, visit their website:

speech nd lang 2

Autism Advisory Service        

lois terryLois Terry is our specialist teacher working with children with Autism in our school.                                                                              

Lark Hall Outreach is a team of specialist teachers who offer support, advice and training to children, families and professionals in Lambeth. We are trained in interventions such as TEACCH, PECS, SCERTS, Social Stories and other ASC friendly strategies.

Every school is offered an agreed level of monitoring and support.  We work in collaboration with parents/carers, school SENDCOs and school staff to implement interventions, to support staff training and to develop inclusive practice.

We provide:

✓ Training and workshops.

✓ Advice for staff through modelling, informing planning and supporting target setting.

✓ Recommendations for resources.

✓ Support for transitions.

✓ Written reports. 

Lambeth Sensory Support Service

 Visual Impaired Support Service

 Our sensory support services uses specialist knowledge to provide educational care and support for children and their families. Children with sight loss or eyesight problems might get help at nursery and school, extra teaching and equipment.

Your child’s eyesight wont’ be check at school. You will need to take them to an NHS optician to check their eyesight.

Mobility Service

Sarah Dempsey is the mobility officer in our school. She helps children with sight loss to navigate their way around the building and the local environment

Hearing Support Service

 Your child will get help from a specialist teacher of the hearing impaired.

The teacher may:

  • help your child to develop their language and listening skills
  • observe your child in class and offer advice on ways to support them
  • provide advice to the school on how to create good listening conditions
  • advise and train other staff at the school to help them teach your child
  • support your child’s social and emotional wellbeing throughout their school life

Educational Psychology Service

 Educational psychologists help children or young people who are experiencing problems that hinder their successful learning and participation in school and other activities. These problems can include a range of emotional and social problems or learning difficulties.

Educational psychologist, help children and young people, aged between ten and 19 years of age, in partnership with parents, teachers, social workers, doctors and other people involved in their education.

They work in a variety of ways including observations, interviews and assessments of the child. Educational psychologists offer a range of appropriate interventions, such as learning programmes and collaborative work with teachers or parents.

You might also provide in-service training for teachers and other professionals on issues such as behaviour and stress management. A further aspect to the job is research and advising on educational provision and policies. 

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school?  OR when moving on to another class?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We will talk with your child to identify how they are feeling about the move and discuss with them how to make it as positive an experience as possible.
    • We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
    • Where possible we will support a visit to the new school in advance of the move.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in all cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
    • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand ‘moving on’ then it will be made for them.
    • You will have an early opportunity to meet your child’s new class teacher
  • In Year 6
    • Our SEN Leader will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school, and the specialist session for students with an ASD, as appropriate.
    • Your child may create a ‘Personal Passport’ which includes information about themselves for their new school.

Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in many cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Arrangements for complaints: You can raise complaints about the special provision for your child by speaking to the class teacher or the SENDCO.   If the situation is not resolved, you may wish to discuss the matter by making an appointment with the Head of School or Head Teacher. If you are not satisfied after talking to school staff, you can make a complaint, using the school’s complaint’s policy, to the Chair of Governors, who will then investigate the complaint and respond as appropriate within ten working days.





SA School Action stage of the SEN Code of Practice
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEN Code of Practice The legal document that sets out the requirements for SEN
EHC plan Education, Health, Care Plan
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEND Special Educational Needs and or disabilities
SALT Speech and Language Therapist
CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
EP Educational Psychologist
SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator
ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
AEN Additional Educational Needs
IEP Individual Educational Plan


Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy